While Margot is laboring away with 30 extra pounds attached and trying to avoid the corporate downsizing Axe, what am I doing? Hanging out in historic Lynchburg, Tennessee visiting with good ol' Gentleman Jack? It might appear that way, but I really only stopped by for a little tour after a hard day's work at the Nissan plant in Smyrna - saving my company's behind once again at the drop of a hat. Unfortunately, it's been a dry county since 1909 so I couldn't sample the fine JD products, but it's probably better that way so that the local town-folk don't drink away all their profits.It was a nice tour though, and I came away with a bunch of fun Tennessee Sour Mash facts - like that Old No.7 refers to the Barrel House that sees the most temperature extremes, resulting in whisky that cycles deeper into the white ash barrels - imparting more of the burnt caramel color and smoky flavors that we oh-so love. Or how about the blocks of white sugar maple that are sprayed with the lesser quality yield barrels and burned to make the ash that the hard stuff is dripped through (twice for the smoother variety) during the crucial Mellowing Stage. And good smells all-around, although I'd recommend staying away if you're had one-too-many rough nights with the brown fire water.
And luckily I was able to meet up afterwards with Cousin Philip for a couple beers to watch Game 1 - showed up just in time to see Buzzsaw Beckett finish off the top and Pedroia go Yard to start off the bottom of the 1st. Good Times! Yankee Fan Phil then had to leave early cause he was "driving 12 hrs the next day to see his family for his Mom's birthday" - I hate Yankee fans - I hope they're all together watching when the Sox finish the Sweep and the Yanks announce the hiring of Don Mattingly to steal back some lime-light - but Happy 60th Nathalie!
I'd been hoping that I could stop over in Charlotte the next day on my way back to hang out with Elsie and Charlie while they're taking a break from life on the road. Check out the Waxhaw Schomp Blog to see how the Rock'n'Roll lifestyle affects the development of young children! Unfortunately, I couldn't make it work, so I'll have to wait until the end of the year for my 1st-hand analysis.
Luckily I did make it back in time for my 45 degree playoff softball game with the Big10 Network team - we lost quickly so that I could get back in time for Grey's Anatomy with the Prego (oh, I mean Game 2)

No comments:
Post a Comment