Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Baby hit a Big Milestone this week!


And to celebrate this Sunday morning, I gave her a bath, plenty of attention, prettied her up a bit and went out to buy some little gifts for being such a good girl for me. Despite a few hiccups here and there, I haven't regretted a thing since the day I brought her home. True - I've considered trading up a few times, but I never acted on it. I've invested a lot of time and effort improving upon her shortcomings - and with the history we've had together, she has more intrinsic value to me than she ever would fetch on the open market. So I'm resigned to sticking it out and waiting a few years to replace her until something better comes along - and driving her into the ground until then. Yes - the green machine hit 100,000 miles this week after almost exactly 9yrs together. Congratulations baby - Daddy loves you!
And almost exactly when I was snapping this commemorative photo - Manne texted me a shot of his new GLI - welcome to the Family!
All joking aside - yes Evelyn has had a big week too. She has perfected her Tantrum Technique! It's especially awesome when she flips her mood in a split-second as soon as she doesn't get her way. The yelling starts and there ain't no stopping it. Don't think about trying to touch or hold her - Evelyn prefers that you remain absolutely still and don't do a thing - lest you get reprimanded. And if you do manage to get out a question, there is only one response - No is always the answer. If you're lucky, she'll even throw herself on the floor and completely immobilize - good trick!

Speaking of which - I know you're jealous of her 'do in that picture up there. And you should be - she rolls out of bed that way! Not every day though - you've gotta put her to bed a certain way/duration after Bath. This one was courtesy of Grandma - thanks! And of course thank you Granny for taking over for the week - and great blog post too (makes you wonder why you can't get your Mexican Adventure blog going - seems easier than writing tomes to everyone you know each week). And as for that 'shower flower' wuss comment - I'm pretty sure they've made huge strides in tearless shampoos over the last three decades. Your libel suit is pending..

Evie did have a blast with her grandmother though, and maybe that's why she was so quick to go into meltdown-mode this week without her around. And of course we enjoyed it as well, as did the neighbors (who my Mom is convinced all came right out of Gran Torino) - having a beer over the fence (Mr Wilson style) with the Laotians (who she said 'hola' :) to), getting a few words out of the old angry Irish curmudgeon Jack and chatting up a storm with the Italian lady down the street (actually that makes Evelyn two-for-two with both her grandmothers - must be a generational thing, and maybe they don't actually hate us yuppies..)

Still getting an abnormal amount of the wet stuff - and now here comes the sticky days of August. Evelyn is gonna be living in her new little backyard pool - if she can get her prego momma out of it, that is!

2 comments:

Margot said...

Somehow you forgot to mention that Evelyn now loves to shout "Nate!" up the stairs and out the window just to get your blood boiling. And nice job doctoring the dashboard picture so that the trip reads 100!

Unknown said...

LOL (I feel 10 years younger when I type that). It's a relief to hear Evelyn has Insta-Meltdowns as well. We 've been wondering if Gigi has already hit the terrible 2's. She's sooooo advanced we say with bride.